Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Remembering Daddy

It amazes me how much my 2 year old remembers Daddy. When Eric left, Conner was 3 months away from being 2. Eric came home on emergency leave in April, and even then Conner went right back into Daddy mode. He wanted to play with him, and be with him the whole time. That was 6 months ago. He will point to things and remember Daddy. He always points to his picture and says Daddy. He also loves his Daddy bear and sleeps next to him every night. Daddy bear even has his own blankie. Conner will talk to him on the phone, and knows there are video's of Daddy on the video camera.

At the beginning of deployment it was my biggest fear that he would forget Daddy. I wanted Conner to remember him so he can feel the excitement that I will the day we go to pick up Daddy. When he lays his eyes on him I can't wait for him to run up to him, calling his name and jumping into his arms. I know it may not be like that because, yes he knows who he is but Conner might be a little distant because he's been gone so long.

What happened today to bring this post about.. I was getting Conner dressed for his nap.. I put one of his old wife beaters on from last year because it's a little warm in the house. As soon as I put it on Conner said "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!". It melted my heart that he remembered that Daddy wears the same shirts. After 8 months of being apart he remembers that. It's not like we have pictures of Eric in wife beaters, it was just from his memory. To me that is amazing.

It's amazing how much kids do truly remember things. Conner has his Daddy's memory. They both remember the weirdest things. I love that about them.


On another note we ordered a Welcome Home sign for Eric today. If we have our house before he gets him it will be hanging on the garage. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment